Shucky's Kitchen

Thoughts, recipes, neat links...all sorts of things passing through a creative mind! Grab a coffee and pull up a chair!

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

3 Ointments

The following ointments were three of my most popular ointments when I ran Nelsie's Cupboard.

I have been making Calendula Ointment for myself for many years. After my first pregnancy over 30 years ago I started to develop spider veins. I had found some calendula ointment at Thompson's in Toronto, and the spider veins went away in three months. Meanwhile, I had two friends, Elaine and Bonnie, whose legs were in very bad shape with varicose veins from problem pregnancies, and both were slated for surgery. One had the surgery, but the other started using the ointment herself, and put off the surgery. A year later, the one with the surgery had lumpy scarred legs, and the other had smooth calves with a few blue vein endings showing here and there. These, however, were not noticeable at all under stockings within another year.

Calendula Ointment (For varicose and spider veins)

Over very low heat, simmer for 30 minutes:

1 c. shortening/lard/lanolin
1 c. dried organic calendula blossoms (I pulverize mine first)

Strain into a clean, wide-mouthed jar, cover with lid (but do not tighten), and let sit until cold and set. Use up to three times a day on unsightly veins. You should see a difference in about three months, but this can be amazing.

***
I made this one up for myself when, having fibromyalgia, my wrists and forearms started aching, and gave some to a friend slated for surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome. It decreased her pain within three weeks, when her father started using it on his arthritic joints. A family tug-of-war ensued, they both liked it so much.

Ointment For Sore Joints/Carpal Tunnel

Over very low heat, simmer for 30 minutes (do not pulverize the buds, but crush them):

1 c. shortening/lard
1/2 c. balm of Gilead (poplar buds)
1/2 c. St. John's wort
3 drops lavender essential oil

Strain into a clean, wide-mouthed jar, into which you have place the essential oil. Cover with lid (but do not tighten), and let sit until cold and set. Use up to three times a day on sore joints and tendons. This makes a rather smelly ointment, if you skip the essential oil.

***
This one was a favourite in Quebec, where everyone seems to have large families. The comfrey speeds healing, and the chickweed soothes, but the children especially love its scent.

Nelsie's 3-C Ointment

Over very low heat, simmer for 30 minutes:

1 c. shortening/lard/lanolin
1/3 c. calendula blossoms
1/3 c. chickweed
1/3 c. comfrey
3 drops lemon balm essential oil
1 drop lavender essential oil

Strain into a clean, wide-mouthed jar, into which you have place the essential oil. Cover with lid (but do not tighten), and let sit until cold and set. Use up to three times a day on skin abrasions and itchies.

***
Comfrey speeds internal healing so much that in the old books, we were advised not to use a poultice or ointment until the wound had been absolutely cleansed of any foreign matter, or it would be healed into the wound. I had used comfrey on kids for years, but once they run off and play, boo-boos are quickly forgotten and I never thought much about it except that it worked. I then saw evidence of the miraculous speed with which it heals.

Monsieur Raymond, 69, had to have surgery for a hernia, and I drove him to the hospital and later, assisted him back home. I had brought some comfrey, and made a poultice of flannel dipped into the infusion and wrung out (1 tsp. of the dried herb in 1 cup of boiling water, infused for 10 minutes, then strained) and placed on his abdomen, now swollen, around the bandaging. It was not applied to the wound area itself. He took off the poultice after a short while, complaining it was too painful. The swelling had gone down, and there was a vivid blush on his abdomen. He then fell into a deep sleep, and was feeling much better by the time I left him and his employer. A couple of days later he told me he hadn't used the poultice, he didn't need it. I saw him a week later, when I was in town again and he was running about doing errands. I chastised him for not resting, as had his physician, but he proudly showed me his abdomen. One would have thought the surgery had been performed months ago, as the healing appeared complete.

I had previously used the 3-C ointment on his employer's broken foot, which she was walking on again within a month. She was an elderly infirm lady who could hardly walk without assistance before she had broken her foot, and seemed no worse for wear!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home