Shucky's Kitchen

Thoughts, recipes, neat links...all sorts of things passing through a creative mind! Grab a coffee and pull up a chair!

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Coffee Spice

The first time I made spiced coffee was years ago, with a pinch of cinnamon. Then Gourmet Magazine ran a Christmas edition in which was included recipes for almond coffee and chai tea. You just couldn't get those back then. So I made the almond coffee for years, but only at Christmas, and usually as gifts. However, I continued to perk up my ears whenever I heard what people put into their grounds, like salt to cut the oxidized flavour. I was told by an ex-cop that Tim Horton's used nutmeg and MSG in their doughnut shops, (but left the MSG out of the grounds you could purchase there, which is why it was never as tasty), and the big surprise was from one elderly battle ax at church! Her secret to why everyone quaffed three cups of her coffee was dry mustard! It took 3 years to learn that one. Which is how this personal recipe slowly developed over the years.

So these days I make all my regular coffee with a pinch of this spice in the grounds...a large pinch will do for a regular 8-cup pot.

In a small jar, mix :

  • 2 T. Cinnamon
  • 1 T. Mustard Powder
  • 1 t. Nutmeg Powder
  • 1 t. Salt
I guess I'm spoiled, because I prefer my own coffee to other people's, and even have a jar of this at work for my workshops!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home