Shucky's Kitchen

Thoughts, recipes, neat links...all sorts of things passing through a creative mind! Grab a coffee and pull up a chair!

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Helpful Tip - Henna

Okay, so I decided to go a little more colourful than tumeric for a change, so I went to my local Asian market and picked up some golden brown henna.

It was golden blonde...but my hair grows like skinny weeds along a backwoods two-lane highway, so I have to do it every three weeks. Which means the roots might be golden blonde, but the hair shafts get darker and darker...I'm a nice auburn right now, but way too dark for my age (thank you, my loyal friends for saying how nice it looks on me). So I am going to try mixing it with neutral next time...see what happens.

Oh! The tip! 

You know how mixing henna with water gives you that greenish sludge that drips water the colour of diarrhoea all down your face and neck? (And won't come out of last year's brightly coloured charity T-shirt that you wanted to leave your great-grandchildren?)

There is help!

Mix in 1 part of corn starch to every part of henna, but use boiling water and make a paste with which to paint your hair. If you use tepid water, you'll be sorry... it will drip all down your face like cornstarch and water, and it will still look like diarrhoea, only fuller, richer. And it stains!

"Oh! I see you did your hair again." Giselle said with arched eyebrows.


"What ever do you mean?" Koochie sniffed.


"Oops. Sorry. Wearing Jacob's dirty diapers on your head again, were you?"

Let not henna be the undoing of your closest relationships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home